1. Contact the Erasmus Office at your Home University
First you need to contact the Erasmus Coordinator at your home University to express your interest in studying at the Medical University – Pleven then must be checked if there are signed bilateral agreements between your home university and Medical University and in which area of study. Your home University needs to recommend you as a student; you cannot apply without the authorization of your home University.
2. Wait for us to contact you
Once we have received confirmation from your home University, we will contact you by email and send you the Erasmus application form, Learning Agreement to complete. You can start preparation of the forms in advance they are available in your webpage.
3. Complete the Application form, Learning agreement
The deadline for student applications for spring semester is 15th of November, and for entry in fall semester is 15th of June.
4. Receive confirmation email
Once we have received your application form, it will be sent to the relevant departments for approval. You will receive a confirmation email or letter for your acceptance as an Erasmus student for the period of your stay.
5. Arrange your visa/entry clearance
Erasmus students with nationality of countries outside the European Union and Norway need a Visa for studies. The Medical University Pleven will provide all necessary documents (Letter of approval, Acceptance letter) and will assist the incoming student throughout the process of visa application. Visa issuance takes up to two months. For more information, please, visit the website of the Bulgarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: http://www.mfa.bg/uploads/files/VISA%20(TYPE%20D%20VISA)(1).pdf.
All foreign nationals who have entered the territory of Bulgaria are obliged to register within 48 hours after their entry into the country. Upon entry into Bulgaria, foreigners should declare in writing the purpose of their stay and the address at which they will reside. In order to register they should fill in a registration form. They have to register their address in Bulgaria either at the services for administrative control of foreign nationals, or at the nearest district police station, depending on the address where they are staying at. Address changes also have to be reported within 48 hours.
• Exempt from this are citizens of the European Union member-states and the citizens of the countries in the European Economic Area. For more information you might find it useful to consult: http://europa.eu/eu-life/index_en.htm
6. Apply for accommodation
You can apply for University accommodation by filling accommodation form as soon as you receive your confirmation email.
7. Health insurance
If you are a citizen of an EU member state or of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland, and you plan to stay temporarily (usually up to 90 days) in Bulgaria, you might consider obtaining the European Health Insurance Card. Presentation of the European Health Insurance Card guarantees you reimbursement of the medical costs on the spot, or soon after your return home. For more information, see:
• If you are not a citizen of any of these countries, you should check with your national authorities if you are entitled to free or subsidized health treatment in Bulgaria as part of a reciprocal health agreement between your home country and Bulgaria. If you are not, it might be a good idea to obtain health insurance for the period of your stay in Bulgaria.
Make the necessary arrangements with your Home University for your modules and Erasmus funding. Plan your travel to Bulgaria and then make your way here!