Division “Pathophysiology” at Medical University Pleven was founded in the autumn of 1975. The first Head of the Department was Prof. Dr. Mladen Argirov with assistants: Dr. P. Topalski, Dr. D. Strashimirov and Dr. Ch. Popov. From 1982 to 1999, Head of the Department was Prof. Dr. Aneliya Uzunova, DSc. while from 1999 to March 2007 it was Assoc. Prof. Denko Strashimirov.
In 2009, department “Physiology” and division “Pathological physiology” were united in one department – “Physiology and Pathophysiology”. In 2011, Assoc. Prof. Aneliya Dimitrova from Sector „Pathophysiology" was selected for Head of the “Physiology and Pathophysiology” Department. In 2015, she was re-elected.
Dr. Emilia Lakova, PhD, joined the Department “Pathologic Physiology” in 1983 as an assistant. Dr. Aneliya Dimitrova joined in 1984 also as an assistant. In the period 1985-1991, assistants in the department had been: Dr. Todor Balabanov, Dr. Maria Dobreva, and Dr. Lilia Shipchanova. In 2011, two new assistants – Dr. Armine Grigoryan and Dr. Krassimir Kostov – started their career at the department. The main directions of scientific research are:
- Pathogenesis of thrombosis
- The role of the thymus as an endocrine organ in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis, thrombus formation, and disorders in the homeostasis
- Morphological and biochemical changes in the aging of the vascular wall
- Importance of the oxidative stress and the trace elements for the development and the prevention of the arterial hypertension in experimental and clinical conditions
- Participation of the local renin-angiotensin system in the pathogenesis of arterial hypertension and its complications
- Expression of the testicular angiotensin-converting enzyme in pathological conditions under study
- Metalloproteinases and vascular wall
- Vasoactive peptides
Since 2002, members of sector “Pathophysiology” have participated on an annual basis in the development of research projects funded by MU-Pleven and MES-Sofia.
The following dissertations have been defended in the sector:
1987 – “Participation of the Thymus in the Pathogenesis of Experimental Atherosclerosis” – for the acquisition of PhD by Assoc. Prof. Dr. Denko Strashimirov
1988 – “Pathogenesis of Arterial Thrombus Formation” for the acquisition of DSc by Prof. Dr. A. D. Uzunova.
2007 – “Vascular Protective Effects of Zinc Supplementation – Experimental Studies” for the acquisition of PhD by Dr. Aneliya Dimitrova.
2016 – “Pathophysiological Role of Endothelin-1 (ET-1), Matrix Metalloproteinases- 2, -9 (MMP-2, MMP-9) and Magnesium (Mg2 +) in the Development and Dynamics of Vascular Changes in Varying Degrees of Arterial Hypertension” by Dr. Krassimir Kostov.