Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology was established in 1975 with Prof. Dr. Ivan Slavov serving as Head. The Heads of the department from 1884 are consecutively: Prof. Dr. Borislav Stambolov, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Stoyan Tanchev and Assoc. Prof. Yordan Popov. Since 2008, its leader is Assoc. Prof. Dr. Yordan Dimitrov Popov, PhD. Since 2004, the Department has been based in the Second Clinical Base, in one of the most modern Obstetrics and Gynecology installations in the country, with up-to-date, modern surgical facilities.
The teaching staff includes two Associate Professors and seven Assistant Professors. The department conducts classes in Obstetrics and Gynecology with third and fourth year students. International students are taught in English. The department is well-equipped with projection equipment, specialized installations, and study rooms. A modern audiovisual training system for students, postgraduates and young doctors has also been implemented. The teaching staff is regularly involved in the training of postgraduates and gynecology graduates, some of whom are representatives of other countries. General Practitioners are also trained in the department. All modern methods of diagnosis and treatment are used; modern resuscitation of the newborn is also employed, which allows the development of practical skills among the trainees as well as the ability to work with the most modern obstetrics-gynecological and neonatological medical-diagnostic equipment.
The research goals and activities are aimed towards the contemporary problems of Obstetrics and Gynecology and encompass all recent scientific developments in the field of ultrasound diagnostics, ectopic pregnancy, hormonal therapy, caesarean section, treatment of sterility and laparoscopic diagnostics among others.