Department of “Medical Physics and Biophysics”, currently transformed in a Division, was established in 1974 along with the Medical Faculty in Pleven. The academic staff includes Prof. Margarita Alexandrova, DSc, Prof. Konstantin Balashev, DSc, assistant professor Tsvetoslav Lazhovski and assistant professor Iliana Damyanova, lecturer Viktoria Varbanova and Filip Marinov.
The research activity of the Division of Medical Physics and Biophysics is in the field of free-radical biology and medicine. There are more than 500 scientific articles and reports published so far, many of which in distinguished international journals with a high impact factor. Since the establishment of the Division, seven doctoral dissertations have been defended.
- Bochev P, Tzvetkov N. Free-radical injuries. Prospects of their antioxidant prevention and therapy, Amadeus, Sofia, 2000 - the first Bulgarian scientific monograph on oxidative stress.
- Alexandrova M. Role of oxidative stress in aging. In:Pathophysiological changes in aging, Edited by D. Strashimirov, Monograph, Publishing Center, Medical University - Pleven, 2008; 43-74.
- Alexandrova M, Bochev P. Oxidative stress during the chronic phase after stroke, Free Radical Biology And Medicine, 2005; 39(3): 297-316 – a review article, ranked ninth among the Top 25 2005 Hottest Articles.
- Alexandrova M, Bochev P. Oxidative Stress in Stroke. Chapter 15, 2007; 15:307- In: Oxidative Stress and Neurodegenerative Disorders. Edited by G. Ali Qureshi and S. Hassan Parvez, ELSEVIER B.V., HOLLAND, 2007.
- Alexandrova M. What happens with ageing: decline or remodeling of opsonin-independent phagocyte oxidative activity? LUMINESCENCE, 2009; 24(5): 340-347.
- Bochev P. Antioxidants and oxidative stress. Monograph, Publishing Center, Medical University - Pleven, 2013.
- Alexandrova M, Danovska M. Serum C-reactive protein and lipid hydroperoxides in predicting short-term clinical outcome after spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage, JOURNAL OF CLINICAL NEUROSCIENCE, 2011; 18: 247-251.
- Alexandrova M, Danovska M. Cognitive impairment one year after ischemic stroke: predictors and dynamics of significant determinants. TURKISH JOURNAL OF MEDICAL SCIENCES, 2016; 46: 1366-1373.
Medical Physics /Medicine/
Physics and Biophysics /Pharmacy/
Medical equipment in nursing practice
Medical equipment in obstetric-gynecological practice
General Physics - preparatory course
Medical Physics /Medical cosmetics/
Textbooks and handbooks published by the academic staff:
Teachers from the Division are authors and co-authors of a number of handbooks:
- Alexandrova M, Magrisso M. Biophysics Laboratory Manual, Publishing Center, Medical University-Pleven, 2011.
- Alexandrova M, Magrisso M. Biophysics Laboratory Manual (in Bulgarian), Publishing Center, Medical University-Pleven, 2014.
- Alexandrova M. Medical Physics Practice book. Test questions and problems, Publishing Center, Medical University-Pleven, 2015.
- Alexandrova M. Biophysics Practice book. Test questions and problems, Publishing Center, Medical University-Pleven, 2016.
- Alexandrova M. Medical Physics Laboratory Manual and Workbook, Publishing Center, Medical University-Pleven, 2019.