Latin Language Sector
I. Academic staff.
- Assos. prof. Pepa Petrova Loungarova, PhD
- Sashka Dimitrova Miteva – Komarevska, senior lecturer
- Milko Ninchev Tzvetanov, senior lecturer
- Radostina Georgieva Yancheva, lecture
- Boryana Borislavova Chomakovska, lecturer
Courses taught to Bulgarian and international students include:
1. Medical Latin for Bulgarian students enrolled in the masters program in medicine (60hrs);
2. Medical Latin through English for international students enrolled in the masters program in medicine (60hrs);
3. Medical Latin for Bulgarian students enrolled in the bachelors program in nursing (30hrs);
4. Medical Latin for Bulgarian students enrolled in the bachelors program in midwifery (30hrs);
5. Medical Latin for Bulgarian students enrolled in the bachelors program in medical rehabilitation and occupational therapy (30hrs);
6. Medical Latin for Bulgarian student laboratory technicians enrolled in the bachelors program (30hrs);
7. Medical Latin for Bulgarian student radiographers enrolled in the bachelors program (30hrs).
III. Activities, publications.
1. Latin language course design for students of all specialties trained at Medical University – Pleven.
2. Current update of additional teaching materials for courses in Medical Latin.
3. Dictionary of Ophthalmology (multilingual) – I. Mazhdrakova et. al., authors of the Latin Section Sashka Miteva, Milko Tzvetanov – Medicina I Fizkultura, Sofia 1994.
4. Dictionary of Terms in Obstetrics and Gynaecology – Asparuh Georgiev, Milko Tzvetanov – Rovita, Veliko Tarnovo, 1994.
5. Translations from Latin by Milko Tzvetanov: Pierre Abelard (in Five Medieval Treatises in Philosophy) – Nauka I Izkustvo, Sofia, 1986; John of Salisbury- The Metalogicon, Nauka i Izkustvo, Sofia, 1989; Einhard - Vita Karoli Magni – Evrasia-Abagra, Pleven, 1994.
6. Participation in conferences as of 2005:
- Tzvetanov, M., Itzovska, M., Miteva, S. Synonyms in medical terminology and the need of a dictionary as part of teaching medical Latin. Conference at Medical University – Plovdiv, 2005;
- Miteva, Criteria and factors for selection of Latin terms to compile a specialized medical dictionary. Jubilee Session of Aviation Faculty, Dolna Mitropolia, 2006;
- Tzvetanova, Y., Miteva, S., Tzvetanov, M. Building additional vocabulary stock in Latin and English through courses for medical students. Conference at Aviation Faculty, Dolna Mitropolia, 2009.